Long Obedience in the Same Directiion Thoughts

I read this on a website today from a pastor: From http://www.newhope.bc.ca/99-01-24.htm

Eugene H. Peterson in his book titled, "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction" says, "In an age of thirty-second commercials, thirty-page abridgments and instant banking, it is not difficult to get a person interested in the gospel, but terribly difficult to sustain the interest."

People say, "When its convenient I'll try to make time for God. If I have the drive and enthusiasm I'll get up for church. We are a nation with the mentality that if it's demanding, drop it!

We start diets but lack the discipline or the desire to see them through. When home work becomes a hassle, the school drop out rate climbs. When marriage gets boring, and conflicts become more than "occasional," instead of sticking with it and working it out -- we toss the marriage away as if it were an old pair of shoes! The concept of a long obedience in the same direction repels us.

In spite of persecution and pain, Paul maintained a long obedience in the same direction. "Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers.

I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches." (2 Corinthians 11:24-28 NIV) Paul lived a long obedience in the same direction in spite of pain.

"Over the years many desperate people have knocked on my door seeking solutions for their painful problems. Most of the problems involved spouses, money and children. Some people expect me to produce instant, miracle solutions.

People with the family and marriage problems wanted a magic prayer to instantly solve years of bad habits, adverse attitudes and selfish neglect. Some expected me to do a make over job on their spouse. Those with financial woes were convinced another loan was the cure all.

Few people were interested in solutions that involved a long obedience in the same direction. Why? Its easier to blame someone else for your problem. The focus of the conversation is usually on the question, "How can I change the other person's attitudes and actions?" That's a dead end trail because we can only change ourselves.

Happiness and joy do not come from changing others. They are the fruit of a long obedience in the same direction. Today there is a great market for religious experiences but little enthusiasm for the patient acquisition of virtue."

True dat!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream