Lost My Cookies

Daniel 1:8

But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king's dainties, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.


Yesterday, I ate more cookies than the Cookie Monster...actually, I ate many more cookies than the Cookie Monster...all he does is crumble and chomp them up and they fall out of his mouth.

A former student of mine gave me a home-cooked batch of cookies freshly-baked at 7:00 in the morning as a way of saying "thanks" for sticking with her when she was making some unwise choices and giving her another chance. Every so often I kind of get it right; I told her straight up that she was making some serious mistakes, I also determined to not quit on her. I told her that it would break my heart if she didn't do right. I have a hard time being vulnerable but I was. It easy in a skeptical age to get in "I care less than you do" mentality. Especially, when stupidity and sin are so rife. Thanks be to God that He looks not upon us with such jaundiced eyes.

U2's lyrics "Grace"

Grace
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that changed the world
And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything

Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma
She travels outside of karma
When she goes to work
You can hear her strings
Grace finds beauty in everything

Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

My former student wound up going to an alternate high school, York County High School (the school of the second chance), and earning her diploma. Graduation is next Wednesday night and she invited me to come. What a encouragement! God allows us to see our work come to fruition sometime. Many times the seeds we plant take a long time to germinate and it may be years down the road before they come to life...the proper internal (attitude, willingness) and external conditions (resources, assistance) connect. Jesus says that our seeds/words are eternal...some grow into nasty weeds and poisonous , some never germinate, some grow into healthy plants and beautiful trees. As the saying goes, we should all plant seeds for trees that we will never sit under.

I was pretty disgusted with myself that I ate all of the remaining cookies in one sitting yesterday for lunch. As the day continued, I had a cookie hangover of sorts. I had taken a sweet gift, and by my lack of discipline, made them less valuable (I am not one to crusade against the eating of cookies, chips, and the like. Sometimes something can be bad for the body but good for the soul. It is often a question of degree. I mourn for kids today that their parties at school are vegetable trays and fruit rather than cakes and cookies. C'mon, what is next? Brussel Sprouts for Halloween? Kids do need to cut back on the junk yet also be active and burn calories) But, it is a question of degree...my mentality tends to be like the Cookie Monster...the more the better. And, I swallow.

Because I work out a lot, I can mask and hide my overeating. Yet, I know in my stomach of stomachs that my food compulsion is counter-balanced by my exercise compulsion...creating a tenuous balance--like a tug of war between gluttony and athletic addiction. Can I learn to be more moderate?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream