Gift of Galatians

I have been starting to read through Martin Luther's Commentary on Galatians. I have been thinking about how easy it is, after being converted, to slip back into works righteousness. It is almost like a man, who after being cured of lung cancer, goes back to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. He was freed from the cancerous smoke for the free and clear air, and has now decided to go back to his addiction. We'd call such a man a fool.

As much as we like gifts, we don't like gifts that identify and call out our weaknesses. If a person gave me a book about how to drive better, I would rightly assume that he has some concerns with my driving. I would be insulted. The Gospel tells man that we can't be right on our own ever. Our pride wants to take the wheel of salvation and drive ourselves to heaven. Control is a symptom of wanting to be like God.

God says in the Gospel, that this is the problem. My pride desires that I do it alone, find my own way, get glory for my achievements. The Gospel says that this spiritual impulse leads to Hell.

When we do good works, I am convinced that it should be for the three purposes of expressing gratitude to God for His salvation, to edify and build up the Church, and to be a witness to the unbelieving world. In works salvation, we put the effect (works) as the cause, and the cause as the effect (salvation). This is a pernicious doctrine and keeps us enslaved to the chains of the Law and to humanity's acceptance and approval. Luther was right to rail against the Pope and the traditions of the Catholic Church that returned people to this spirit of bondage.

When the Pope and his clergy could decide if a person's works merited grace, then He became the authority that man had to please. And, no man has that right, even if he reigns in palaces, invokes Peter's authority, and wears fine robes.

Click the title "Gift of Galatians" for Luther's Commentary on Galatians. It is timeless and relevant for today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream