A Better Bowl



I first had Vietnamese food about 8 years ago. Like a girl, I wanted to ask it where it had been all of my life. The restaurant was a small place across from the movie theatre where a church was meeting up in Harrisburg. I generally like all Asian food...Korean, Thai, Japanese (sushi), Cambodian, and authentic Chinese (especially Szechuan), yet find Vietnamese my favorite. Although I had a Malaysian dish down in Philly one time, a deep fried yam stuffed with beef and peanuts, that was food fit for a god. One of the guys I was eating dinner with kept moaning, in a low almost inaudible tone, his pleasure with his dish.   

Vietnamese cuisine is fresh and non-greasy, not sugared up like American Chinese. Through the resettlement of Vietnamese people by churches in Central Pennsylvania a couple of decades ago, some Vietnamese people decided to stay rather than head west to California to places like Little Saigon in Southern Cal. I am so glad they stayed. It adds color and culture and cuisine to the local community. Like a flower, Vietnamese food is a blossom--gentle, beautiful, colorful. And delicious. Not that I have ever eaten a blossom.

Two Sundays I faced a choice of whether I would continue my "March Through The Menu" at a Vietnamese place up from my present Church, or go home and watch the Philadelphia Eagles. Fortunately, I decided to bag the Eagles game (they lost, I found out later) and continued to eat down the menu. Here is a listing of what I have enjoyed so far with my grades (on a 100% scale):

Vietnamese:

# 10 Bun Rieu 100
# 4 Bun Bo Hue 100
# 5 Mi Hoanh Thanh 87
# 6 Pho Dac Biet 90
# 7 Pho Tai Bo Vien 80
# 8 Pho Tai 95
# 1 Goi Cuon (Spring Rolls) 97
# 11 Bo Kho 100. This is what I had most recently and it rivaled the Malaysian Dish.

Football, what football? I got me a better Super Bowl, man.  See picture above...I have really enjoyed getting to know the proprietors of the place and they seem amused that a big white guy comes in and treats their food like the adventure it is. You know what dull  is? Watching the same old TV on the same old Sunday.

I hope to ask my Church community to join me one of these Sundays...and skip the football.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of J.I. Packer on C.S. Lewis

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

I AM listening