The Hairs of My Head

Yesterday, I went to the local chop shop here in Mountville to get my hair mowed down to stubble. I have an unusual problem for a 47 year old. My hair grows quickly, and not just out of my ears (like a lot of other aging dudes). Not that I don't have that issue, mind you. Last week I wrote about our CSA where we got over-run with weekly produce. I have the same issue with my mane.

It is as if my follicles are trapped in a teenage timewarp and don't act their age. While most guys, by the time they have seen as many moons as I have, massage and cajole their remaining hair to just hold on--some even rubbing in that nasty Rogaine glub--my hair just grows on blissfully unaware that it is not acting its age.

I have a dilemma when I get my haircut...if I get it cut the way I like it length-wise, it is not too long, before it is too long. So, I got it cut short. The barber hesitated on the top of my head like a downhill skier at the apex of the mountain, asking me if I was sure that I wanted him to ski across and down my head with the clippers. I said, "Do it!" Man, I swore--after the 1960's--I'd never willingly submit to a buzz cut.

Knowing that my wife likes my hair short, gave me confidence that this would not be a run of regret. Plus, by the time she gets back home from her business trip in three weeks, I will need another haircut.

I am thinking about asking Barber-dude if I can put him on a monthly retainer of $ 25 or so where I can stop in and get a touch-up buzz weekly. I wonder if he would grant me special hours...like at 6:30 in the morning on Saturdays. I can't stand waiting. Maybe if he put a couch in his shop...then I could nap until he is ready to cut me like Mick from Rocky.

Here are some great quotes from the original Rocky.

Like this one the best:

Reporter: Where did you get the name, "The Italian Stallion"?
Rocky: Oh I made that up one night while I was eating dinner.

I also get a special bonus when I get my haircut...he buzzes my bushy brows. I can see, I can see! My eyebrows function as visors.

As I looked upon my fallen snow-like hair upon the barber's ground, I recalled Jesus said that God know the very number of hairs on my head (and eyebrows)...and on the floor. Pretty amazing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of J.I. Packer on C.S. Lewis

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

I AM listening